NETWORK & SATELLITE SYSTEM (NASSAT) (hereinafter "NASSAT") is responsible for formulating the strategy and approving NASSAT's corporate policies, as well as for organizing the internal control systems. In accordance with the provisions of the values incardinated in the Code of Conduct, NASSAT's development of sustainable environmental practices, the use of clean energy, respect for the environment and collaboration in technological developments that are conducive to environmental conservation are the pillars of its activity model.
The Environmental Policy aims to project respect for the environment to all persons associated with the NASSAT Compliance Model who are related to NASSAT.
In this regard, NASSAT considers the environment as the central element of the concept of sustainability and, in particular, one of the three pillars for achieving a sustainable business model, together with competitiveness and technological development compatible with environmental respect.
NASSAT, aware of its potential to contribute to the conservation and protection of the environment, has voluntarily assumed as one of the basic principles of the development of its activity the fight against climate change and the preservation of biodiversity.
In addition, NASSAT conceives respect for the environment as one of the corporate values that determine its entire business strategy as it is key in the configuration of a sustainable model, which translates, in the environmental field, into lower emissions and greater efficiency in the use of energy, as well as in compliance with environmental regulations and the best international practices established in this area.
With all this, NASSAT responds to the expectations in relation to the preservation of the environment, the increasingly intense regulatory requirements in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) six, seven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen and seventeen approved by the United Nations.
This Environmental Policy applies to NASSAT, and where applicable, to contracted companies acting on behalf of NASSAT, as well as to joint ventures and other equivalent associations, when NASSAT assumes management.
3. Active and effective environmental organization
The definition and implementation of the Environmental Policy in NASSAT is the responsibility of the administrative body. To this end, NASSAT has established an organization that actively and effectively addresses environmental management.
In this way, it is the responsibility of this management body and the NASSAT management to establish and supervise the implementation, respectively, of the company's environmental strategy and organization.
4. Environmental commitments
The development of appropriate environmental policies aimed at respect for the environment and the sustainability of its actions are one of the basic pillars of NASSAT's business model.
NASSAT considers this environmental dimension as a priority in the planning of its business. This obliges it to promote innovation, eco-efficiency and the progressive reduction of environmental impacts in the activities it carries out, in order that its activity becomes a sustainable engine of the economy and an ally of balanced development.
Therefore, aware of the importance of this factor for the development of its business mission, for its customers and shareholders and for other relevant stakeholders with whom it interacts, NASSAT is committed to promoting innovation in this field and eco-efficiency (reduction of environmental impact per unit of production), that is, to progressively reduce the environmental impacts of its activities , facilities, products and services, as well as to offer, promote and research eco-efficient solutions in their market, thus harmonizing the development of their activities with the legitimate right of present and future generations to enjoy an adequate environment.
In this sense, this Policy is oriented in the fight against climate change, including as a concrete objective of gradually reducing the intensity of greenhouse gas emissions, the optimization of the management of water, hazardous and non- hazardous waste through implemented systems that set objectives and goals on, among other aspects, the reduction of waste, the use of good practices in the use of water and the use of recycled materials, thus contributing to the transition to a circular economy.
5. Instruments for the assumption and promotion of environmental commitments
NASSAT environmental commitments are driven through:
- A clearly defined organizational structure and responsibilities in the field of the environment and sustainability in general.
- This Environmental Policy is linked to specific actions of NASSAT related to specific aspects of relevance, such as biodiversity and climate change.
- The consideration of the environmental variable in the policies of control and risk management.
- An environmental management system, which allows to reduce environmental risks, improve the management of resources and optimize investments and costs.
- The provision of specific budgets.
- The regular preparation of concrete strategic plans, which determine strategic priorities and key environmental issues.
- The setting of concrete and verifiable environmental objectives.
- Training and information for managers and employees.
- Collaboration with suppliers so that respect for the environment is a principle that informs the entire NASSAT value production chain.
All this so that the different levels of the organization are aware of the importance of respect for the environment in the planning and subsequent development of NASSAT actions, and that all employees contribute with their daily work to the fulfillment of the objectives that are adopted in this field.
6. Basic principles for NASSAT's environmental action
To achieve the implementation of these commitments, NASSAT will be guided by the following basic principles of action:
- Respect the current environmental regulations and, as far as possible, anticipate the application of the new regulations, when it is more demanding, and comply with the voluntary commitments acquired and with the international regulations of environmental performance, especially when these are more ambitious.
- Know and continuously evaluate the environmental risks of its activities, as well as constantly improve and update the mechanisms designed to mitigate or eradicate them.
- Establish indicators and reporting systems that allow to know and compare objectively the environmental impact of the different activities, categorizing them and allowing the traceability of their causes, with the aim of being able to use this information effectively in the decision-making process of their activity.
- Prevent the materialization of such risks and, where appropriate, mitigate the consequences of such materialization.
- Fully integrate the environmental dimension and respect for the natural environment into NASSAT's strategy.
- Permanently ensure the compatibility of environmental protection, the satisfaction of social needs in their R&D developments and the creation of sustainable value through innovation and eco-efficiency, contributing to a sustainable and responsible activity model.
- Consume responsibly, making a sustainable use of resources and increasing the circularity of its activity.
- Incorporate the environmental dimension into investment decision-making processes and into the planning and implementation of activities, promoting its consideration in cost-benefit analyses.
- Establish appropriate management systems, based on the philosophy of continuous improvement, that contribute to reducing environmental risks and that include: a continuous effort to identify, evaluate and reduce the negative environmental effects of activities, facilities, products and services.
- Information and training to employees on the effects derived from the development of processes and products, to minimize the negative effects of their activities on their health and on the environment.